Periactin 4mg Anti-Histamine Tablets – 30 Tablets
Periactin Tablets are a form of medication that is intended to provide relief for the effects of hay fever and other allergies. These tablets work by reducing the symptoms associated with an allergy. The active ingredient in the tablets is cyproheptadine, which is a first-generation antihistamine that also has local anaesthetic properties as well. This helps to relieve symptoms such as a runny or blocked nose, sneezing, and itchy, watery eyes.
How does an antihistamine work?
An antihistamine works as a suppressor for a chemical known as histamine, which is released when coming into contact with an allergic substance. The body responds to the substance thinking that it is a threat and releases several chemicals. One of these is histamine. Histamine is the cause of the symptoms of hay fever and others, as it helps to reduce blood pressure by swelling the blood vessels. When taking an antihistamine, the chemical is blocked and the symptoms cannot occur because of it.
Who are these Periactin Tablets suitable for?
These tablets are suitable to be used by adults and children aged 2 and over as a form of treatment for hay fever or another allergy. They can also be used as a medication for migraines. They should not be used if any of the following apply to you:
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in the tablets
- Are taking antidepressants known as Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Have a narrow opening in the stomach
- Have glaucoma
- Are asthmatic
- Are elderly
- Have difficulty passing urine
- Have a stomach ulcer
- Are lactose intolerant
You should speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using if you are using any other form of medication, have hyperthyroidism, hypertension, or cardiovascular disease, as well as high blood pressure or heart issues.
How should Periactin 4mg Tablets be used?
The dosage for Periactin Tablets is dependent on the age of the person who is using the tablets. The recommended dosages are as follows:
- Children aged 2-6 – ½ a tablet 2-3 times a day, with an extra dose at bedtime if needed. Do not give more than 3 tablets a day.
- Children aged 7-14 – 1 tablet 2-3 times a day, an extra dose can be taken at bedtime if needed. Do not exceed more than 4 tablets a day.
- Adults and children aged over 14 – Start with 1 tablet 3 times a day, increasing to 4 if needed. Do not take more than 8 tablets a day
For a migraine, take 1 tablet when you first feel the effects and then another after 30 minutes. After this, take 1 tablet every 4-6 hours. Do not take more than 2 tablets in a 4-6-hour period.